LINK TO POEMS
Meeting time: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Plaza Branch Library, Small Meeting Room
Address: 4801 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64112
•Alfred Lord Tennyson
The following is an explanation by Stephen about how the poem selections were made:
- Poetry is best read in its own language, so I have included only English poems.
- I've tried to keep the poems short -- less than 300 lines.
- After having so much Whitman, I felt as though we might best be served by only British authors.
- In the book club we don't normally go beyond 1950, but I, being even more reactionary than that, have included no poets born after 1880 in my small collection.
- I've included brief bios with the poems, so as to give some context, though poetry is often read best "out of context" at first, so as not to give the reader pre-imposed first impressions. (Bios are not posted on-line with the poems. It is suggested that you search the web for bios.)
- I've excluded Milton and Shakespeare from this list, though they are poets, because they are regulars among our monthly readings.
- There are no female poets in my collection, not because there are no great female British poets (Elizabeth Barrett Browning immediately comes to mind as excellent), but because there weren't representative poems from those 1-2 women that fit the length I had established with the other poets.
There are just under 40 poems in your packet.