- Book: Gospel of Mark (from the bible)
- Other Business: Select books for next year's schedule (*See Note)
- Date: Friday, December 7, 2012
- Time: 7:00 PM
- Location: Kansas City Public Library/Plaza Branch
- Address: 4801 Main Street, Kansas City, MO
- Meeting Room: Small Meeting Room.
The received suggestions will be compiled and distributed about a week before the next meeting so you'll have time to think it over.
A list of categories followed in our selections is at this link:
A list of past books is at this link:
Comments about Gospel of Mark:
Biblical literature is one of the two major sources of the Western literary tradition. Our group therefore includes one book from the Bible each year to be reviewed and discussed from a literary perspective. This year we will be discussing the Gospel of Mark from the Christian New Testament.
Most contemporary scholars now regard Mark as the earliest written of the canonical gospels. The gospel was written in Greek, possibly in Galilee or Syria, shortly after the destruction of the second temple in Jerusalem in AD 70. The writing style of Mark is crude and terse when compared to the later synopitic gospels, Matthew and Luke.