Saturday, December 9, 2023

Schedule of Books for 2024

 Schedule of Books for 2024

January 26, 2024
Daniel Deronda, by George Eliot
February 23, 2024
The Tale of Genji, by Lady Murasaki
(Chapters 1 through 17)
March 29, 2024
Black Prince, by Iris Murdoch
April 26, 2024
May 31, 2024
Julius Caesar, by Shakespeare
June 28, 2024
Three selections from Essays, by Michel de Montaigne
July 26, 2024
Democracy in America, by A. de Toqueville
(first half) 
August 30, 2024
Democracy in America, by A. de Toqueville 
(second half)
September 27, 2024
The Clouds, by Aristophanes
October 25, 2024
The Mabinogion  Anonymous
December 6, 2024
Book of Revelation, by John of Patmos (from New Testament)
December 13, 2024
Select books for 2025

1 comment:

Clif Hostetler said...

The following is a copy of a message from Pamela Evans:
Hi, Clif,

I know you're all freezing up there, so I feel a tad guilty looking out at sunshine on my tropical garden here!

But I'll be coming back to KC briefly, for a memorial, and will Zoom with you from there at the end of the month.

I found the following article after looking for something helpful on Deronda. You may want to send it on to other members.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2009/feb/10/zionism-deronda-george-eliot

Also, after corresponding with a friend who wrote her dissertation on Montaigne many years ago, I'd like to suggest a change to my too-hastily-assembled list of his essays.

"An Apology..." is long and less fluent than other essays. I propose we drop it and add "Of Cannibals" to the month's reading. My friend also recommends Montaigne's own introduction to the essays, as being good preparation for his motives, style, and charm.

I'm sorry to bring this up so late, but I'm seriously hampered down here without access to my books. Finding anything serious to read is a huge challenge, and weight restrictions mean I'm always sacrificing books I want to bring, in the last hour of packing. I read on screen here, but I don't like it!

See you on January 27,

Pamela Evans